This week my journey as a registered nurse began quietly in a LTC (long term care) facility.
I had never imagined during my 2 years of nursing school that I would end up with this type of job. It is on the complete opposite end of the nursing spectrum from L&D; the reason I sought out a career in nursing.
I will say that I am also not surprised that I ended up in LTC in some regards. I told myself over and over again that I knew God had called me to this profession and that irregardless of my own personal desires; I would nurse where he needed me to care for others. I deperately fought this by applying to anything but LTC centers. Then I gave into His will.
The want ad was simple, but caught my eye. I faxed my resume hoping anyone else would offer me a job before this one replied. Within days, the interview was done and I accepted, again hoping something else would come along before my first day. I began to feel a little guilty for not appreciating the opportunity. It was after all a job and the experience would be good.
I went into Monday morning, beside myself with fear and nervousness. I followed the nurse and marveled at how well she did her job. She of course was proficient at passing out medications and caring for the needs of residents. But it became clear (rather quickly) that these residents NEED nurturing.
It hit me on Friday just how much, in the most unlikliest of places.
In the bathroom, a frail old lady, in a moment that would not phase most, cried out for comfort; simply saying...... hold me......
In that moment I knew I was where I was supposed to be.... all this woman needed was a simple human touch and I was there for her. My heart ached for her and all the others who feel alone and just want someone to hold them. I pray my arms will be strong enough to provide comfort to all those who no one hears or that have lingered alone for too long.
"When you're a nurse you know that every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours" Authour Unkown
So glad to see your blog, Sarah! I know you'll be a blessing for those sweet spirits!
ReplyDelete